Friday 7 November 2008

Just something a fan would do...

L'Arc~en~Ciel Oricon Web Interview August 2008

(Okay, I admit it's outdated... but still this is interesting. I especially like the part about the 'philosphy' behind the name Nexus 4... Quite unexpected to me. hhe.)

Releasing new songs after the tour to connect their works of the present and future!
After the completion of [TOUR 2008 L'7 ~Trans ASIA via PARIS~] which spanned seven great cities including Shanghai and Paris, L'Arc~en~Ciel's new single [NEXUS 4/SHINE] has arrived. This world renowned rock band wants to share the sensation.


THIS NEW SONG'S TITLE IS TIED TO ITS LYRICAL WORLDVIEW

Q: First comes NEXUS 4. What sort image did you have in mind while making it?

tetsu: At that point in my schedule, I had to make five songs to submit for KISS, and this is the first one I came up with. Like 'BANG!' it was really simple.

Q: I think the song feels like a dash, like the melody is sprinting right across.

tetsu: I didn't do it consciously, but that sounds about right. It's the first song I wrote, so of course it feels like the way it was made... That day, I wrote "Sunadokei" at the same time, so to me they balance each other out.


Q: I see. The guitar solo has quite a zing to it, too.

ken: The guitar... As soon as I could make out the shape of the song, I put everything into it! You know. BAM! Like that. One time, I was making a demo tape and I did the guitar solo for it, but then the length of the solo got changed and when I played it again it didn't sound the same, but I really wanted it to be just like that demo. I guess it had a different feeling to it (laughs).

Q: The word NEXUS means a bond, a connection, or something along those lines. I suppose that the "4" at the end represents the members of L'Arc~en~Ciel?

hyde : Wow, that's clever! (that really IS, I never thought of that. I thought that '4' is just a random number. LOL)

Q : Er, I didn't think it could be far-fetched (laughs).

hyde: Well yeah, that's what the 4 means. There're four of us so the song is 4. NEXUS though... It's kind of embarrassing to say it, but it's the name of a robot. ^^


ABOUT SHINE

Q: Now, about SHINE. The melody creates a strong impression of something flowing beautifully. Also, the phrase "I want to shine on you" has warmth to it.

hyde: Indeed... It's actually something I think to myself all the time, but not really in the sense that I want to say it to someone else. It's more like, for a diary or something. (he's writing a diary? how sweet^^)

Q: yukihiro-san, how did you approach this song?

yukihiro: Hmm, I can't remember. ...When I heard the song was getting released, like properly, I said "But I haven't recorded a good drum take yet!" I thought we only had the demo, I couldn't remember playing it for real or recording it at all (laughs). But I'm glad I didn't have to record it again, I guess (laughs). That's kind of familiar.

Q: How about you, tetsu-san?

tetsu : I said that if yukkie was going to redo his part, then I would redo my bass part too, but in the end we didn't have to re-record anything (laughs). Nah, I really don't know when we recorded it. I guess it must really be a while ago, and it must have gone smoothly.



FUTURE PLANS

Q: Could you tell us a little something about future developments?

ken: Hmm... For starters, the song we recorded this weekend is totally awesome. Also, some of us are doing solos, others are taking a break. And, you want to know about the future?

Q: That's right.

ken : I dunno (laughs). Well, just wait a little while and see! I think someone else knows a bit more than I do.
hyde: Writing songs for L'Arc~en~Ciel goes hand in hand with doing solo work, and we have releases planned... So I don't think it's going to be all that different, actually.
tetsu: I agree. I don't think we'll be able to have any lives for a while, but being a band isn't only about lives. We have things to do besides lives, so you won't even notice the time go by!


Interview by Hayashi Tomoyuki
Translated by Natalie Arnold

2 comments:

tyas wirani said...

eh ako suka lho pas baca yang future plan. keren gitu. hhe.

anyway, ako baru tau Nexus tu yang dimaksud adalah robot. ahahahahhaa...

kisetsuluvshyde said...

Agreed! Yg jelas Laruku uda punya future plan yg jelas (uda ngerecord lagu, pula! Kereeen! XD) Haha mereka benar2 memanjakan penggemarnya. Senaaang.

Sumpah the meaning behind Nexus is shocking to me! Ga nyangka bangeet. Habis kirain meaningnya serius, eh ternyata... XD XD